Tuesday, February 17, 2009
Saturday, October 25, 2008
Hindraf leader P Waythamoorthy did not minced his words in attacking Home Minister Syed Hamid Albar for labelling the outlawed group as an extremist organisation.
“The allegation that Hindraf is an extremist group and allegedly ... declare that Malays and Islam are their only enemy is absolutely ridiculous and a blatant lie,” said Waythamoorthy, who is currently in self-imposed exile in United Kingdom.
According to Waythamoorthy, the Hindu Rights Action Force “was never a religious body”.
“It only raises legitimate rights of Hindus and Indians to practise their religion in peace and quiet under the Federal Constitution and the Universal Declaration of Human Rights.
“We have always maintained we never have any problems with Malays and Muslims but we have serious problems with Umno, which is a bully, and practises racist and extremist divide-and-rule policies to survive and maintain its political rule in Malaysia,” said the Hindraf chairperson.
Syed Hamid, in an interview with Malaysiakini yesterday, said that Hindraf “advocates and propagates hatred”.
The minister, who last week declared Hindraf an illegal organisation, cited the speeches made in 338 demonstrations organised by the movement.
But Waythamoorthy challenged Syed Hamid to prove his accusations against Hindraf.
“Each and every Hindraf gathering and meetings are recorded and kept in a safe. We knew these and many other dirty and cheap methods would be used by Umno to demonise and paint an evil picture of Hindraf and were ready for the negative propaganda campaign especially when the entire state machinery and media are controlled by them.”
Syed Hamid denies lying
Earlier this week, Hindraf accused Syed Hamid of lying when he said that Waythamoorthy’s passport was not revoked five months ago.
The movement showed a document purportedly issued by British authorities confirming that the passport had been revoked by the Malaysian government.
On May 26, Syed Hamid said his ministry had been informed by the Immigration Department that the Malaysian international passport issued to Waythamoorthy "is still active in our passport and travel document system".
However, the minister conceded that there was previously a directive for Waythamoorthy to surrender his passport to the Malaysian High Commission in London.
After he was appointed home minister, Syed Hamid said he subsequently gave the order for the directive to be rescinded.
Posted by Praveen at 4:13 PM
Tuesday, October 21, 2008
Posted by Praveen at 5:50 PM
Source: NORMAN FERNANDEZ
Absurdity is a virtue in Malaysia. How else can one describe Malacca’s decision to confer Datukship on Indian actor Shah Rukh Khan.
Years ago when I was at the Subang airport, a security guard beaconed a driver who had parked his Mercedes Benz right at the entrance of the main door to move on. Somehow the driver just refused to move and so the security guard walked to the driver and told him sternly to drive off. The driver protested saying that he was “tunggu Datuk” (waiting for Datuk). I chuckled pink when the guard told the driver “hello, Daud Kilau (a popular gelek singer) pun Datuk lah… jalanlah”. (Hello, even Daud Kilau is a Datuk.. just move on will ya..). The guard cared too hoots for Datuk’s.
Recently, a writer wrote in the NST, how at the waiting room of Institute Jantung Negara, when a nurse called out the patient “Datuk”, six Datuk’s actually got up !.
Malaysia, it would seem is teeming with Datuks and the running joke is if you were to throw a stone in Malacca, there is a very high possibility that the stone would strike a Datuk. I am confident sooner or later I will also obtain one (well maybe after 20 million other have got theirs).
So just what did Shah Rukh Khan do to deserve his Darjah Mulia Seri Melaka Datukship. According to Malacca Chief Minister Datuk Seri Mohd Ali Rustam, the decision to confer the title was suggested to the Yang di Pertua Negeri Tun Mohd Khalil Yaakob by former Finance Minister Tun Daim Zainuddin. Apparently in 2001 the Bollywood heartthrob had shot a movie One Two Ka Four at A Famosa Resort, Alor Gajah Melaka. According to the Chief Minister that has resulted many people visiting Malacca.
Yesterday, was the investure ceremony but the actor did not attend the ceremony. Infact the great Khan was in Singapore for a Zee TV engagement. Apparently, Tun Daim is making arrangements to bring the actor here to receive his gong in a special ceremony. The great Khan must be really looking to the great day but before that he must once again look up in the map where the sleepy hollow is.
Now, if Shah Rukh Khan deserved the award, then other notables like Catherine Zeta Jones and Sean Connery who shot the movie Entrapment against the backdrop of Petronas Twin Tower, Chow Yuen Fatt in King and I shot around Ipoh and Jackie Chan who shot among other Police Story surely also deserves Datukship.
Datukships in Malaysia are too easily dished out. Add to the annual list which seems to grows each year, some Datuk’s are known to have obtained theirs from the Sulu rulers. Now, we have Datuks who are Yoga masters, to mini market owners to “besi buruk” businessmen added to the perenial list of politicians being rewarded more often than not for service to their political masters. Just read the congratulatory advertisement which appear in the neswspapers after each investure ceremonies and you would have an idea what their day job is. Mention also must be made of many lawyers who hardly have any time for service to the BAR but are Datuks by virtue of their public service in the east coast.
I believe it is high time that members of the public should also be allowed to nominate Malaysians who have distinguished themselves in the service for the people for consideration for such awards
Posted by Praveen at 5:45 PM
I’m currently teaching in a secondary school and I am totally dissatisfied with an issue so I am writing this complain hoping that it will make a difference. As most of you are aware of, we had just completed the PMR examinations throughout Malaysia. We as teachers also look forward to marking the PMR papers, as we will be able to gain experience and insights, which will be useful when conducting the Form 3 classes for the coming year.
However, all the hopes of Indian teachers are dashed to the ground as the meeting with the heads of the marking group is being held on the eve of Deepavali in some places. These meetings are held over a span of two to three days so that each group is able to discuss with their respective group leaders on issues concerning the marking of the papers. The examiners will also be given their scripts and briefed on the issues of marking. These meetings are essential and if they are held during the preparations for Deepavali, many Indian teachers will not be able to attend and thus they lose out as they won’t have the chance to mark the papers.
Some may argue that these meetings are not long, and the teachers will be able to attend the meeting and then go back home to continue with the preparations, but I ask you is it fair? Some of us are sent to different states away from our hometowns and we dedicate ourselves to our work but during the holidays we would like to spend time with our loved ones.
I’m not surprised that this sort of incident is taking place as we have come across many incidents like this over the years but I would seriously like to pose this question. Is this what we call BANGSA MALAYSIA? This ignorance of the celebration that is going to take place and the importance of this celebration to a small group of people who are a part of Malaysia.
I can only hope that things will get better and even though we are a small group of people we still contribute to the development of this nation and thus our voices should be heard. The meeting could have been held during the weekday since we already know beforehand when the examinations are going to take place and when it’s going to be over. There is no logical explanation on why the meeting is held on the eve of Deepavali unless it has been done on purpose.
Posted by Praveen at 5:23 PM
Wednesday, October 8, 2008
Setelah issue Hindraf di Rumah Terbuka oleh Perdana Menteri kita masih dipolitikan oleh pelbagai pihak terutamanya Utusan Malaysia and Menteri Dalam Negeri yang sangat di sanjungi oleh rakyat Malaysia. Pagi ini saya terkejut membaca berita "online" oleh The Star yang bertajuk MIC Loses Grip On Little India. Laporan akhbar tempatan menyatakan bahawa permohonan oleh Dato G. Rajoo untuk melaksanakan Malam Deepavali yang disambut gilang gemilang di Little India IPOH telah ditolak oleh EXCO Kerajaan Negeri A. Sivanesan.
Adakah tindakan Sivanesan wajar untuk menolak permohonan MIC? Pada padangan saya, permohonan MIC patut di tolak walaupun tindakan ini berbentuk balas dendam tetapi tindakan sivanesan boleh dikatakan "Sweet Revenge" balas dendam manis. Pihak MIC tidak langsung mengendahkan masyarakat india di negara ini. MIC telah membiarkan rakyat india di Malaysia terbantut dari segi ekonomi, pendidikan, sukan dan lain lain lagi. Pemimpian MIC tidak ada masa untuk menyelesaikan masalah rakyat india tetapi mempunyai masa untuk merompak negara. Lebih lebih lagi rasuah berleluasa di kalangan ahli.
Setelah Hindraf bangkit menentang kejahilan Samy Velu bersama UMNO terhadap masyarakat india di Malaysia. Hindraf mampu heret ratusan ribu orang protes kezaliman UMNO dan Samy Vellu. Kesemua pemimpin MIC kalah dan dimalukan secara besar besaran dan kekalahan ini merupakan satu hadiah khas oleh masyarakat india kepada Presiden MIC pada hari jadinya yang turut sama di sambut secara gilang gemilang pada hari pilihanraya.
Secara keseluruhanya, semboyan telah dibunyikan, masyarakat india mengantar mesej yang jelas kepada kerajaan bahawa MIC bukan pilihan lagi. Issue kuil roboh baru baru ini, MIC telah melancarkan serangan terhadap pakatan rakyat, soalnya mengapa MIC baru sedar, baru nak lancarkan protest, kenapa tak protest ketika MIC didalam pemerintahan sebelum pilihanraya, kenapa tak protest dihadapan bangunan kerajaan selangor sebelum ini.Apabila hindraf protest, ahli hindraf dipukul and dihumban kedalam penjara. Pihak MIC cuba membina imej yang terjejas and binasa kerana tamak dan rasuah sesama ahli and ketua. Sepandai pandai tupai melompat, akhirnya jatuh ke tanah juga, pepatah ini sering disebut sejak zaman persekolahan. Pada zaman moden ini pepatah tunjuk ajar patut ditukar kepada "Sepandai pandai tupai melompat, akhirnya jatuh ke tanah lalu di langgar bas".
The Star reports :
IPOH: It is game over for Perak MIC chairman Datuk G. Rajoo, who wanted to hold a Deepavali celebration in Little India here as his Ipoh Barat MIC division has been doing for the past 16 years.
Perak executive councillor A. Sivanesan said Rajoo would be going against the law if he did so as the authorities had rejected his application to hold the event there.
“He can’t organise the celebration in Little India,” Sivanesan said yesterday after a meeting with 32 traders and representatives from various authorities and bodies on the state government’s Deepavali celebration.
Sivanesan said the Ipoh City Council had approved the state’s application to hold the celebration in Little India from Oct 14 to 25.
Rajoo, who is the Ipoh Barat MIC division chief, had cried foul over the state government’s rejection of his application to hold the celebration there.
“It is final. The best Rajoo can do is to celebrate Deepavali happily with his loved ones in his house,” said Sivanesan.
He, however, said Rajoo was invited to attend the celebration in Little India.
“Let’s put our differences aside and celebrate Deepavali in good spirits,” Sivanesan added.
Posted by Praveen at 8:22 PM
From Al Jazeera
Anwar Ibrahim, leader of Malaysia's opposition alliance, has hit out at government efforts to have his trial on charges of sodomy moved to the country's high court, saying it threatens his right to a fair trial.
Speaking to reporters on Tuesday the de facto leader of the Pakatan Rakyat (People's Alliance), said the push to transfer his case from a lower court would likely see him facing a biased judge and was part of a political plot.
Anwar is accused of sodomising a former male aide, and could be jailed up to 20 years if convicted.
But before the trial could begin in a lower court Abdul Gani Patail, the Attorney-General (AG) or country's top prosecutor, ordered the case to be transferred to the high court.
Anwar, a former deputy prime minister, protested the order when he appeared in a district court on Tuesday.
He has repeatedly rejected the allegations, which he says are part of a plot by his political opponents.
"I am concerned over the issue of fair trial," he said at the hearing to decide if the case should be transferred.
"I find it difficult to understand why the AG is so desperate, fighting tooth and nail, to go to the High Court."
He said the order has "raised a lot of suspicion" that the government would pick a biased judge in the high court.
Yusof Zainal Abiden, the prosecutor in Anwar's trial, urged the district court to "follow the procedure" and transfer the case.
But defence lawyers have maintained that Abdul Gani should stay out of Anwar's case because of his alleged involvement in a previous sodomy charge against Anwar in 1998, when he was sacked from the government and subsequently jailed.
"The AG should play no part, and he should not be deciding this," Sulaiman Abdullah, Anwar's lawyer, told the district court, adding that the order was void because it was "signed by somebody who has been disqualified".
Anwar's sodomy conviction was overturned in 2004, but a conviction on a separate corruption charge remains.
Malaysian law criminalises sodomy, even if the act is between consenting adults.
Anwar's trial comes amid escalating racial and political tensions in Malaysia, with the government's popularity rating at an all-time low following the loss of its two-third majority in parliament in the March general elections.
The opposition alliance has repeatedly said it plans to remove the present leadership by orchestrating the defection of more than 30 government MPs.
Posted by Praveen at 7:15 PM