Deputy Prime Minister Najib Abdul Razak today strongly dismissed claims that he was involved in a conspiracy to ruin PKR leader Anwar Ibrahim's political career.
He said that he was not involved in the police report lodged by Anwar's aide Mohd Saiful Bukhari Azlan in which the latter claimed to be sodomised by Anwar.
"I am not behind this. The most important thing (now) is whether the act (sodomy) took place. That is for the police to establish," he told a press conference at the Parliament lobby today.
PKR has claimed that the police report was a fix-up against Anwar and released a photo showing Saiful (in blue shirt) with Najib's special officer Khairil Anas Yusof to back their claims.
However Najib today denied that Saiful was an undercover agent for him at Anwar's office. He said that photo was taken was taken when the 23-year-old Saiful came to his office three months ago.
"It was taken three months ago when he came to seek a government scholarship to pursue his studies as he (Saiful) is a student leader," explained Najib.
‘He has never been harassed'
The deputy premier also denied there was any government attempt to assassinate Anwar.
"We have not harmed any politician in Malaysia all this while, we don't intend to do so, this is not the practice of the Barisan Nasional government," Najib stressed.
Asked on the opposition's call for a personal safety guarantee to be given to Anwar, Najib replied: "We can assure him of his personal safety. He has never been harassed especially when he was campaigning as the opposition leader."
"This is not the question of political persecution; this is the question of law. Let the law takes its course," said the deputy prime minister, who has been under Anwar's radars since early last year over the Altantuya Shaariibuu murder and several questionable defence deals.
On the Turkish embassy which extended diplomatic protection to Anwar, Najib said it would not affect the bilateral ties between the two countries.
"We must see the circumstances that he has been accepted (by the embassy) under, whether it is (for) political protection or protection to run away from the law. We have to establish this first by police investigation. Then the government will decide based on international law," said Najib.
Saiful dropped a bombshell on Saturday by lodging a police report stating that he was sodomised by Anwar.
Anwar said that this was a fabricated charge and left to seek protection at the Turkish embassy after claiming that his life was in danger.
He also filed a defamation suit against Saiful this morning to clear his name.
‘Anwar is a drama queen'
Meanwhile, three other Umno ministers also denied that they were part of any conspiracy.
Photographs of Saiful with Shahrir Abdul Samad, Mustapa Mohamed and Azalina Othman Said appeared in the Internet yesterday, fuelling speculations of Saiful's involvement with Umno figures to topple Anwar.
"I don't know him personally, I don't know who he is and where is he from. I don't remember talking to him personally," Tourism Minister Azalina told reporters at lobby.
She said the group photo where she was featured with a group of students including Saiful was mostly likely taken when she was the youth and sports minister.
"I think I look very fat then (in the photo), now I have lost weight," quipped Azalina, also denying she was any part of the alleged conspiracy.
Domestic Trade and Consumer Affairs Minister Shahrir said: "Although I'm not photogenic, but I took a lot of photos with many people... the photo was probably taken during the last Umno AGM but I don't recall who he is."
Shahrir also took Anwar to task, saying: "It (the entire incident) is too much (and) seems to be like a drama, more so Anwar is a drama queen."
Making a similar denial, Mustapa also said he could not recall he ever met Saiful after he saw his photo with the 23-year-old on Malaysiakini.