Source : Malaysiakini
The Health Ministry stands by the findings of the medical examination conducted on Mohd Saiful Bukhari Azlan by doctors at the Hospital Kuala Lumpur.
The Star quoted ministry director-general Dr Mohd Ismail Merican as saying this in response to the latest twist in the sodomy allegation against opposition stalwart Anwar Ibrahim.
Yesterday, Malaysiakini reported that Saiful, 23, was first examined by a Burmese doctor at Hospital Pusrawi in Kuala Lumpur several hours before he lodged a police report claiming that Anwar sodomised him.
In his report which was obtained by Malaysiakini, the doctor stated that he found no evidence of sodomy.
However, the police responded by stating that the news reports on this matter were aimed at sabotaging their investigations and confuse the public.
Police not dilly-dallying
Meanwhile, Deputy Inspector-General of Police Ismail Omar said the police have not dilly-dallied in investigating the case since it was reported by Saiful a month ago.
He said the police had been relentlessly seeking relevant and the latest information, besides giving the case priority as it was a high-profile case.
"We want to solve this case as soon as possible. The investigating officer is constantly looking for new leads.
"We are doing our best and we need the cooperation of all quarters concerned," he told Bernama.
Ismail was asked to comment on Home Minister Syed Hamid Albar's statement on Monday, asking for the police to speed up the investigations into the matter.
He said since the police investigations began, some quarters had been making speculations and statements that could interfere with the investigations.
"I wish to warn everyone, including bloggers, not to disturb police investigations by disseminating material or information that is inaccurate or false.
"Action will be taken against those who deliberately try to interfere with the investigations. Let the police do a meticulous job," he added.